Friday, December 5, 2008

Great News

Well, as one person put it, yes, no news has been good news. It's probably a good thing that there have been no updates for such a long time, although I realize all of you would like to know more about how mom is doing more frequently. My appologies, life just has a way of getting in the way.

Mom is doing very well lately. She continues to put in 10 hours a week at the hospital. I think that has been a very nice escape for her. I'm sure everyone in the office is glad to have her back, if only on a limited basis.

Chemo continues once a week and it has been going well. She comes home from treatment tired and I often find her sleeping on the couch when I stop by to visit. She hasn't been sleeping well lately but I think most of that has stemmed from nerves. She's been a bit apprehensive about upcoming test and the results they will yield. This lack of sleep has led to a bit more sleeping during the day. I think it's great that she gets sleep whenever she can as I'm sure that her body needs it and uses all that energy to help itself heal.

On Thursday she had a round of tests at the hospital including a PET scan. All of the news was for the most part positive. There has been no metastasis (spreading to other parts of the body) which to me is the best news we could have possibly hoped for. The mass on her pancreas is about the same size but the active cancer cells have diminished in size and number (that's how I understood it). All in all it was very good news and it sounds like the treatments are working as they should be.

Mom will continue with chemotherapy for now and on the 17th we will go to Stanford again for a checkup with the doctor up there.

For now we are very much looking forward to our family from the east coast coming out for Christmas week. It's right around the corner and mom is going to be healthy to enjoy it. This will be the greatest Christmas yet.

No comments: