Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ready set go.......

Well Monday is my big day. Standford here I come. I have to admit I am quite apprehensive about what I am going to face, but optimistic. Just a quick update. Judy Modena drove me to my radiation set-up on 8/25/08. 4 hrs of hurry up and wait. The best part of the day was getting the upper mold, for positioning for the radiation. It was warm and comforting and felt so good on my back. That is where the soft fuzzies ended.

Cold and anxious I waited for 45 minutes, in my hospital gown, in the waiting room, to be called for my Pet scan. Never having had one before, I had no idea I was going to have radioactive dye put in my veins and have to go in isolation for another 45 minutes, in a cold storage room with only my hospital gown and a hard plastic pillow to keep me company. (Stanford missed the education op) (I'm sure I asked the right questions).

After isolation, I now got to lay on a nice hard table (on my back) for about 45 minutes while they did the PET and numerous Cat Scans. Thank goodness for my Lamaze training all those years ago, because it sure came in handy. I knew it had to be over soon. Didn't these people have to go to lunch? a break?

The day finally over, I'm feeling quite emotionally and physically beat up, Judy came back to pick me up (she got to go shopping). While I was waiting, glad to be outside, I was struck by the people coming in and out of the clinic in far worse shape than me. I stopped and prayed for them and thanked God for all my blessings, which at that time seemed to numerous to list. It's amazing to me the glory I now see all around me.

Oh, but it's not over yet.... On Thursday after my visit to Stanford I started getting an itchy back, by Sunday evening I have a full blown body rash. A reaction from the Scans I had at Standford. Why does it always happen on the weekend and a holiday at that? I got out the Benadryl, Cortizone cream, Aveno, and cut my nails, determined to wait until Tuesday to call the doctor. Not wanting to go and sit in ER for 3-4 hours. Tuesday brought me a round of Predizone and by Friday all was well. Phew.......

As I mentioned above, Monday, 9/8/08 is my big day. My sister Nancy is flying out from Boston on Monday night to get me back and forth during the week. I hope she can get through Hurricane Hanna. We will be staying in Palo Alto a couple of nights and commuting back and forth the other 3.

I am unfortunately, on Monday night, missing Lexi's Back to School Night. She will be performing for the first time in the A Capella choir. Matt is going to video tape for me. He wants to go to all her classrooms and video interview the teachers for me. Of course she is threatening him with idol intimidation. They'll have to work that one out. I have bigger fish to fry.

I'll fill you all in after my treatment. Keep the good thoughts coming. Thanks for all the prayers

Love,
Lorraine

2 comments:

Deb, The Outdoor Guru said...

I called and missed you again!...but I am so happy that it's because you were out and about with Lexie... You are an angel, Lorraine...Keep up the great work! Mountains of Love....Deb

Jan said...

Wow - it's here aready!! You are in our prayers, of course, and remember: God works in strange ways!! Maybe this will take care of it all.

All our love,
Jan and Dave