Sunday, February 13, 2011

Only the good die young

She was a good one. 62 years isn't enough but they were good years.

Mom finished her 2 1/2 year fight against pancreatic cancer early this morning.

Right in line with her wishes she died peacefully and pain free in the Westland House in Monterey, in the loving care of Hospice. She spent less than 24 hours there and I believe she was ready to go. She had come to a place of acceptance and she was comfortable. She was not afraid of death any more. I assured her yesterday when she was leaving the house for the final time that we would all be okay, and that if she was ready to stop fighting, and move on, that it was okay. She said, "Thank you, I appreciate that." She was ready and she knew it. Deep down I knew it was time too.

Lindsi and I visited her one last time last night around 10:30. She opened her eyes and said hi. I asked if she knew who I was and she said, "ya, Mark". I asked if she was in any pain and she said she was not and that she was comfortable.

Thank you to everyone who has been here for us over the last two years.

Because mom has so many loving friends and family we can't possible be in contact with everyone. For that reason, I will be posting details and a schedule of services, etc. when we know more details. I don't expect a service to take place until at least Wednesday or Thursday.
Check back here for details.

5 comments:

E Living said...

I had no clue you and your family were going through this struggle. It breaks my heart to hear of your loss. You'll be in my prayers.
-Eli
(2002-2004 RNW Staff Member)

Anonymous said...

Mark - I am so very sorry for the loss you are all feeling right now. Thank you for this blog - you have captured the very spirit of your mother the whole way through.

Anonymous said...

Rest is peace Lorraine.

Unknown said...

Looks like she spent Valentines Day with her first love!

TigKat said...

Oh Mark, I just happened upon your Blog. I'm so, so sorry. You and I are in the same club now. Not a great place to be. If you need a friend, or someone to talk to that can totally relate, I'm here for you.
xoxoxo
Terri Keefer