Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Port Call

Yesterday mom had a port and a ciliac block done. The port is basically a semi-permanent IV line so that she doesn't have to get stuck every time and doesn't have to worry about an infiltrated IV. The procedure went well and she came out of it with her back feeling much better. It has been bothering her from the pressure of the tumor. The ciliac block numbs the nerve endings in the area and should work to reduce some of the pain. The doctor said it doesn't always work but it was worth a try. The pain came back to some extent last night so I don't know how well it's working but we'll give it a couple days and see how it feels.
On Friday she will go in and see the surgeon again to have a look at her incision from the surgery. It has been a little infected. Not to the point to worry about too much but to the point that she may not be ready to have chemo if she has an infection. If the doctors think it is minor enough then she will start chemo that day. If not then it will be put off.
Mom's niece and her daughters are coming to town on Friday for a week from Boston. I know she is looking forward to seeing her as they are very close. Unfortunately mom should be starting chemo that day. My cousin is a nurse practitioner in Boston so it will be nice to have her around and she is of course understanding of what mom is dealing with and isn't expectant of mom to be too entertaining. I'm looking forward to it as well, as I have most of the week off from work while she is here.
I'll update again on Friday...

2 comments:

Janet said...

Lorraine;

I think of you everday and say a prayer for you every night. Hope all goes well with your first Chemo. I'm glad your niece will be with you the first week after your Chemo. She will be the perfect quest. How time gets away from us. Can she really have kids of her own????? Seems like yesterday she was a little girl. I'll be checking with the hospital to see if you feel like visitors.

All My Love
Janet

Anonymous said...

Janet

I am so greatful that Lorraine has a great friend in you. Because I am so far away, it makes it easier for me knowing she has you and so many others who love her and will protect her as much as possible.

With all the prayers and positive energy surounding Lorraine, with her determination...we ain't seen nothing yet!!!

Nancy (Lorraine's sister)