Friday, July 18, 2008

Chapter 2--Gather Intel

Well it really does feel like the end of the first phase of so many things. Mom is well on the road to healing from surgery. There has been the ebb and flow of emotions all week which are beginning to stabilize for all of us just a bit (for now). Much of the wonderful staff at the hospital has been through this with us too. This cancer has been secondary to getting mom up and kicking again. There has been absolutely nothing we could do about it. In this next phase it will be time to approach this head on and acknowledge the elephant that has been sitting in the room. Surgery, the discovery of pancreatic adenocarcinoma cancer, and the shock and awe that came along with it is now behind us. It was a brutal chapter. I know I can speak for all, when I say, I am glad it is behind us.

It is time to assess, gather, and weigh the different options we have ahead. There will be at least several. It's a decision none of us want to make. Any choice in treatment will have it's particular consequences and risks. We, and mostly mom, has to now move forward and decide which path will be the best choice for her. Due to the need for the healing process to finish before starting any kind of radiation treatment, we have two to three weeks to gather this intel and make something of it. After that it's full steam ahead into the unknown. What we will have at that point is faith, hope, luck, prayer, friends and family to move us forward. Thank God mom is going into it with such a great outlook. She is very optimistic and so will I be.

We counted roughly 25 that managed to get through the ever so porous defenses that was the fifth floor. We laugh about this because we all no mom has no ability to say no to a friend. To the many who were turned back I hope you left with an understanding that she truly wanted to see you but it just wasn't in her best interest at times. She was beat down like I had never quite seen. Not so much physically, but emotionally and mentally. To those who made it through, mainly just due to pure lucky timing, thank you for coming, mom enjoyed all of the visits no matter how short they needed to be. The family from back east has talked of a local week long get away/reunion. I think it would be so great to open it up to anyone and everyone who mom has touched for a night. We'll see how it pans out.

To all the ladies from HR who came-Caren, Nina, & Renee- Jeri Gilbert, Missy, Debbie Avalez, Nina, Jan, and Zach Thorup, Jan Wood, Janet & Kristen, Martin & Lyn, Sole & Peter Wilrodt, Steve Delormier, Ron & Sally Fuqua, Don Tamagni, Bev Ranzenbergger, Wendy Goodsen, Flora, Ann Albano, Suzie Brusa, and April (and anyone I managed to miss over the week-give me a little slack here it's been a long week ;} ) thank you so much for you visits. You were the lucky ones who had good timing or damn near. Your interest and love towards my mom means a tremendous amount to us all. Had we allowed visitors I know the numbers would have been ten fold. Thank you. And to all who sent flowers (I don't have that one in front of me, sorry), thank you. We had to pull two extra tables into the room just to have somewhere to put them all. We opened a florist shop this afternoon and sold them all---Kiding. They were awesome and they really created a wonderful environment for her all week. Thank you.

Last but certainly not least, the SVMH staff. I can't do justice with my limited vocabulary. You were all amazing all week long. You were such a support system for me when I needed you, and it was often. My mom was so well taken care of. I couldn't ask for compassion, caring, and love toward her than you all gave. Thank you. Thank you.
Molly, Libby, Christine, Minda, London, Shena, Claudia, & Nicky, you all were so good to mom. You were at our beck and call every time and I just hope your other patients got some attention too. I hope if I ever find myself in the hospital I should be taken such good care of. A extra special thanks to Libby who really just went out of her way for us all week and really bonded well with mom. You were so caring and attentive to her needs as well as mine. Above & beyond you were. Thank you Libby. To my friends at SVMH I thank you too. Charlotte, Rolando, Maria, Ruthie, Rachel, and so many others, you were there for me in the tough moments. Thank you.

To all of you THANK YOU.

Bring on the next chapter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine,
I am sorry that you are living this nightmare. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get some encouraging news with your consult at Stanford. I am so glad you have such a wonderful circle of support with your family and friends. Mark keep the blog going. It is a great means of communication. We want to know how your Mom is doing.
Love,
Jennifer in Las Vegas