Monday, July 14, 2008

Day One

Cancer. I can't think of too many words I'd rather not hear when a doctor is talking about my mom. It's like a ton of bricks. For someone who has never been around cancer, it's a bit tough to process. Pancreatic cancer is pretty serious stuff. We'll all get through it but it's going to be a long tough fight. Mom is tough and she is so far, very optimistic. I'm trying to be. We are getting support from all over. Family, friends, and co-workers have all been great and it's very appreciated. After 18 years at the hospital she knows everyone and many people have been coming by and sending their love. They are taking good care of her. She's on the floor that I have been working on for the last couple years so it's nice because I know all the nurses and doctors.

So far we don't know too much. The doc knew there was a mass on her pancreas and was planning to remove the spleen and part of the pancreas. When he went in today he found more than he anticipated and was unable to remove any of it because of the location and depth into the pancreas. All we really know now is that she'll likely need to go through chemotherapy and radiation very soon. At that point we just have to wait and see how the cancer reacts to the treatments. She's pain free and in good spirits. I'll be spending the night tonight at least. Say a prayer for her.

I'll do my best to keep this updated for all who are interested in following her progress. I also made is so Matt, Lexi, and Jake can write if they feel the desire. Thanks for all the support.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I will be praying for Lorraine's Fight. It is so sweet to set up a blog for your Mom. I will be checking it. Remember Isaiah 43:2-5 that Danielle read at Andrew's service on Friday. "Do not be afraid for I am with you...." Love to you and your Mom.
If I can do anything for you, I am here.
Aunt Jan

Anonymous said...

The universe may listen if we all ask of it. Hold Auntie in your thoughts and hearts and ask out loud or pray in silence for she who has been our delight.

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." Kahlil Gibran

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mark, for including me and my family as part of your list of people to contact. I (we) feel very close to Lorraine and all of you because of our mutual interests. Now we have another mutual cause and that is, of course, her winning this battle. Lorraine has always been an extremely confident and strong woman. Actually, she is one of THE strongest women I know. Her strength will keep us all together in one mind for her and our prayers will tie us to her with a powerful force that will be felt, really felt, by her and by you and the rest of her immediate family. All of the people she has ever touched will be thinking of her in a deep way. Get ready for an amazing outpouring of love and care.

Please know that we all will want you to call and use us as a resource and support. We want to help but may not know how or what the best way would be to suit your needs. We want to be "used" and wait for your call/contact. All our love and prayers to Lorraine.
Reg Huston and family

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, you and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. I can't think of a tougher opponent to go against cancer than your mom, nor is there a team more resilient than you and your family. I remember sitting in prayer with Jake after every session and imagined all the spiritual love and support coursing through your home. Love to you all.

Please let me know if I can help, especially if you need any acupuncture or herbal support.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Mark, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. I can only imagine how tough it is right now, but know you have family and friends here for support in this fight.

Your brother,
Michael

Deb, The Outdoor Guru said...

Hey, Lorraine . . .
Interesting journey you are taking here, my Dear. Good thing you have God, the Angels, friends, family and a world of Love and Prayers on your side. You are on a World-Wide Prayer list where thousands of monastics and other souls around the world are deeply praying, "Heavenly Father, Thou art Omnipresent. Thou art in all Thy Children. Manifest Thy healing presence within her body, mind, and soul." Be assured I am praying with them.

Love you Forever... Deb

Anonymous said...

Mark... what a great way for everyone to show their support and see how many people care for your mom. What a difficult experience for such an amazing family. I will be holding Lorraine in my prayers. I imagine the visitors for her in the hospital has been endless... everyone knows her and speaks so warmly about her. If you ever want to chat, don't hesitate to call me.
Wishing you all hope,
Steph

Anonymous said...

Love, faith, hope, and support. You have the ingredients you will need to make it through this journey.

We are all in your corner and I'm sure God must be bombarded with thoughts and prayers for the Thorup/Sweeney family.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mark , This is your cousin Corinne from D'Escousse, Got an e mail from nancy and so very sorry to hear the news about cousin Lorraine . I Know with God 's help she will be fine Would you please tell her we said hello and she will be in my prayers also will be lighting candles for her . Please give her all our love and will be checking the blog each day . to your mon xoxoxoxoxoxoxo love you lorriane