Monday, July 28, 2008

Friends & Family

Life has been back to normal for the most part. The elephant in the room is still sitting there and cancer is about the only thing I think about (along with how weird it feels to be going back to work tomorrow), but life is moving right along. One more day and we head up to Stanford (Stanford Cancer Center at left). Mom, Jake, Lexi, and I will all go up. We are all eager to hear what they have to say. They said that they might not start the procedure up there until September, which is obviously too long to wait. Mom is talking with the oncologist here to see if perhaps beginning chemo here in the mean time would be appropriate. Right now no decision has been made either way and we are waiting to see what Stanford has to say when we get there.

Mom has kept herself busy cleaning around the house and going for walks daily. She has never been the type to sit around doing nothing all day. It still holds true. A few days ago she even went over to the beach for a w
alk along the path in Monterey, and also took in a movie with Lexi. Many friends have come by to visit and that has certainly kept her spirits up. Tonight many of the ladies from her office at the hospital and a few other friends from the hospital came by. They brought plenty of food and sat around talking with mom for a while. As always, she loves being around friends. This whole thing has shown me how sometimes you really have to live for the moment and embrace the day. Friends and family aren't going to be around forever. Time spent together making memories is so crucial.

Saturday night Pete and Sole, a couple who have been part of our family as long as mom has known Jake, came by for dinner and cards. The food was great, as it always is when the Wilrodts cook. After dinner the four of them played cards. Once in a while I see mom have such a good time and laugh so hard that it hurts. Saturday night was one of those times. She had one of those laughing fits where you are just about crying and struggling to breathe. She was laughing so hard I thought she might pass out. I sat there just watching her and being so thankful for what great friends she has surrounding her. Times like that are the ones to really cherish. I love to see that kind of joy on her face. It was a great night.
Check out past posts for some other pictures I added.


Jake's cousin Andrea came by today as well for a visit. She was on her way north after a wedding down south. I thought that was very nice of her to go out of her way to see mom. I know mom has always been fond of Andrea and I'm sure they had a good visit.

My cousin Nancy is coming out from Boston the second week of August with her two daughters for a week. I can't wait to see her and I know mom is looking forward to it. Nancy is mom's sister's daughter. My mom was the youngest child and when she was a teenager living at home my aunt lived downstairs with my cousin (her daughter). Mom and Nancy became very close and have remained so over all the years.

My dad called mom today. They haven't talked in a very long time. I know it wasn't easy for him to call but he did. It meant the world to my mom. He complimented her on her job raising me, as she did 99% of it. That meant a lot to me as well. It made her cry just telling me about the call. I was so proud of dad for doing that, I think it was one of the kindest things he has ever done. Go dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark

Thanks for the pictures. It is good to see Lorraine smiling. I can't wait to hug her tight, I wish there was not a whole country between us, that I could just drop in.

Mark, your the best.
Love, Auntie