Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Last Lecture


Don't give up today worrying about tomorrow.
Wise words from a wise man. Today I finally got around to checking out Randy Pausch on YouTube. He was recommended by a friend at the Fire Department. Turns out this guy is one of the most inspirational people I've ever seen. I sat for hours listening to him and interviews with him. Here's the background. Last Lecture is a lecture series from a university in which professors give the lecture they would give if it were their last. It could be life lessons, advise, whatever. Well, Dr. Randy Pausch was given the opportunity to give his right after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was give 3-6 months if I remember correctly. This lecture, just over an hour long, is so inspirational. This is one of the most well grounded, positive people I have ever witnessed. I would encourage anyone to check him out. If you don't want to sit through the hour lecture (which does lay down a nice background), at least check out the five part interview from 2008. This guy and his wife are remarkable. Watching this sparked a lot of ideas to write about but you can save me the time by just watching for yourself.
Lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo
Interview part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbOQqtDAW0&feature=related
You can find the other four parts of the interview in the right side window. I'll be buying his book for mom.

As for mom, she had a great nights rest last night and told me she went on a very long walk with Sole. I think that's so great that she is up and about and not even letting this slow her down a little. We were hoping to hear from Stanford today but haven't had an appointment made yet. We'll be following up tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine,
Kourey sent me the blog. My sister-in-law called me over a week ago to tell me that you had cancer. There I finally said it (wrote it), it's real. When she called I was in shock, I didn't want it to be true. I didn't want your family to have this happen to any of you. I felt I needed to wait to tell Sara until Lexi needed her and needed to tell her. The girls all know now but they don't know how quite to process any of it. We finally talked about it yesterday. I have wanted to call but what words can anyone find to tell a friend "how sorry they are",or "how can this happen". From reading what others have said you have so many friends and family praying for you. Please know Sara and I are doing the same. All of us, Anna, Annie, Mary, Kourey, Colleen, Mindy don't know how to help but want to. Just know we are there for you,jake ,lexi and your boys. I am quite familiar with the Stanford hospitals so if you need a ride, a friend or just a hand to hold when you make your trips, please call me Lorraine.
You're in our thoughts and prayers everyday.

Jeanne said...

So glad you were able to watch The Last Lecture. Randy is indeed a remarkable man and it is a remarkable book for anyone, but I think especially for you and your family.

My prayers are with you.

Jeanne O'Grady - Jenny's friend from days when we met for dinner at the Country Club

Deb, The Outdoor Guru said...

Hi Lorraine and Mark,

Yes, I agree...Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture is one of the best books I have read lately. His website also keeps up with his journey and includes video links. He was diagnosed in September 2006 and his most recent entry is in June of 2008! He's incredibly inspiring. To see for yourself, Google for Randy Pausch's home page

Lorraine, so many of us have you surrounded by love in our thoughts around the clock. Your journey brings every one of us to a better place in our hearts.
Love you LOTS!