Friday, July 18, 2008

Telemundo and Sponge Bob

Mom had a huge day today. No nap. That was a first. There were many good moments today. She was a little overwhelmed with visitors. We made a list of all the visitor she has had since she's been here. We counted about 25. Not bad. What we both laughed about (what else can you do) was how with every effort to give her a full days rest (Phone unplugged, 2 different "STOP, No Visitor" signs on the door and the whole nursing staff looking out) she still managed to get all those visitors. She thought it was kinda funny. I had to leave for a while today so I wasn't around to run interference. I think it really goes to show how much people around her care about her. She did enjoy the visits she said. Apparently not even cancer can put a damper on mom's social schedule. I think if it were Christmas time and Mel or one of the girls from HR were throwing a ornament exchange party she would probably be tying sheets together and climbing out the window to get there. Maybe sneak out in the laundry. She always has a hard time saying "no" to anything social (or anything on Sale for that matter). She sure loves her friends.

It dawned on me today that this really isn't just about her and our family. It is just as much about all of her friends and the people that care about her. If my close dear friend were going through this I wouldn't feel a whole lot different than I do now. This morning I was talking with a co-worker on the unit who over 18 years has become a good friend to my mom. I don't remember what we were talking about exactly but she just lost it. I was there to comfort her and it opened my eyes
that our immediate family aren't the only ones in this. The same thing happened later with another long time friend of hers on the phone. This is someone who mom has been there to support in the past during some very difficult times and I could feel her sorrow over her dear friend. Those are the times when it hits me the hardest. Seeing others saddened just pulls the trigger for me.

As I try to focus on the positive I like to think about the fact that I have time with her. This isn't a car crash, a plane crash, or a sudden heart attack. We have time. Tons of time, I like to think. We have always talked about how we should have a "date night" with just mom and I. With a big family, one on one time became a precious commodity and as I grew into adulthood I needed less of it. We talked about actually going out and just having dinner and a beer. Just so she could spend some time with an adult. This whole week has been like the best date night I could ask for. I can't remember the last time I had the opportunity to spend so much time with her. I have more or less moved into room 532. I have my chair/bed and my laptop and more reading to do about cancer than I can shake a stick at. She keeps me busy during the day so time goes by fast and is broken up with trips to the cafeteria and out to the floor to BS with the nurses. It's been a great date night and I'm so glad I have the time to spend with her.

When she finally hits the sack at night she is so exhausted. It quite literally takes her about 60 seconds to fall fast asleep. It's interesting to see what she falls asleep with in her hands. There is the breathing tool (Incentive Spirometry) to prevent pneumonia, which she falls asleep with mid-breath.
Then there are the cancer pamphlets that are still in her hand as she sleeps. She says after two days she's almost done with page 2 because she falls asleep every couple sentences. This is the best, she will fall asleep while channel surfing and ends up asleep in the middle of the endless block of Spanish channels. She wakes up and laughs every time at the Spanish soap opera which is on. Tonight she got caught watching Sponge Bob Square Pants on Nickelodeon after falling to sleep mid-surf. She really Gets a kick out of this.

It looks like there is a good possibility that she may go home on Saturday. She is doing about 20 laps a day around the 5th floor. In all my days working here I've never seen anyone walk so much. She wants out of here (must be a party somewhere this weekend). Mom is healing up from the surgery very quickly. Friday is going to be a big day of running around here collecting reports, scans, and films for her consults at Stanford and possibly UCSF. We sat tonight and made a list of questions for the doctors and a to do list for the day. We don't want to mess with this once we are already gone from the hospital. I have nothing else to do all day anyways so it will keep me busy. In very mom-like fashion, I'm about to fall asleep mid-type, so this post is over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Mark. I dig the whole date night thing. I am glad you are finding pockets of joy. When Auntie comes back east we always try to have one night with just us...usually girl talk stuff...stories about the kids....and yes, the great buy she found at Marshalls. I am not much of a shopper so I always appreciate that she and my mother would take my girls with them as they, too, are shoppers. You know Sponge Bob is pretty darned funny and I highly recommend The Family Guy.

This weekend I am going on my annual Mother and Me Camping weekend. This is offered through the Girl Scouts and Megan and I will go with 5 other mother daughter pairs from our troop. There are people from all over New England there, totalling about 90.Can you believe they hold it at the very camp I went to as a kid?? How cool is that. Anyway, tradition calls for wish boats. We make these little boats out of anything we can find in the woods (bark, twigs, grass, etc) and set them afloat in the dark with little candles on them. It is actually very beautiful to see the candles afloat on Lake Winnepasauke. When you release it you make a wish.

I am sure you know what Megan and I will be wishing for this year.